Saturday 2 February 2013

Book Review: Chloe's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli

Awhile ago I bought a book called Chloe's Kitchen by Chloe Coscarelli. If you're a fan of Food Network's Cupcake Wars (and really, who isn't), you might remember her as the vegan baker who won her episode. Her book is full of vegan recipes - which look absolutely mouthwatering! - including one of the recipes she used on Cupcake Wars. Because this is a baking blog, I focused on the baked section of the book for my review, but I've also tried recipes for real food.


The first recipe I tried was a chocolate cake with mocha icing and almond slices. I baked it as a cake in August with the icing recipe included in the book the first time, then I turned it into cupcakes with different icings the second and third times. I guess telling you I've used the recipe three times in six months probably means I'm stating the obvious when I say I loved it. The cake has a rich cocoa flavour without being too sweet and it's so moist! The price of the book is worth it for this recipe alone!

The next recipe I tried was for yoga cookies. These little treats use agave syrup instead of sugar and lots of yummy but healthy ingredients to make a cookie that tastes amazing without pushing the indulgence meter too high.


The third dessert recipe I chose for this review was for the cupcakes that won Cupcake Wars. The texture of these vegan cupcakes was a bit different from a traditional cupcake in that it was actually something I wanted to put in my mouth. I also liked that they weren't overpoweringly sweet, making them balance nicely with any icing you choose to pile on top. Moist. Delicious. Perfect. Now wonder these were winners!

Based on the other recipes I tried and the face that this book makes vegan food that is delish with ingredients that are easy to find and affordable, I recommend picking up a copy for yourself! And if you want to check out some of Chloe's recipes before you buy the book, her website has some freebies for you.

Note: I purchased this book on my own because I found it interesting. I was not compensated for this review in any way. I just love to share amazing food finds with my readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment