Monday 13 August 2012

The Williams-Sonoma Baking Book: Pistachio-Spice Cookies

Job Applications: 38
Interviews: 0
Recipes: 2


I didn't realize until today how much of my free time I filled with the Olympic for the last two weeks. Now that they're over, what's an unemployed girl to do? Bake of course! Today's recipe was for Pistachio-Spice Cookies from the Williams-Sonoma Baking Book. They were pretty easy to make, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with the results. These cookies are basically butter, sugar, eggs, flour, flavour and pistachios. Easy. 

First, butter and brown sugar are creamed together.


Then, molasses, flavouring and egg yolks are added. Finally, the dry ingredients are mixed 
                                                                                  in



                                                     and of course chopped pistachios.




The dough is then formed into two rectangular logs then left to chill out in the refrigerator for at least two hours.



Once they've chilled, they're sliced then baked.


I thought the cookies were a bit on the bland side while still managing to be a little artificial tasting. They also didn't hold their shape well while baking, despite the fact that I allowed them to chill for more than the minimum two hours suggested.

This one is probably not a recipe I'd make again.

UPDATE: I did try these again. This time I left the dough in the refrigerator for almost 48 hours before baking. I also left out the almond extract. The flavours blended together nicely and it was a really tasty cookie. The spices made it feel like comfort food while the texture allowed it to still be a light treat. Perfect as an afternoon snack with a cup of tea or coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment